10 Facts About Lash Shedding
Every hair on our body follows a specific growth cycle, including our eyelashes. Lash shedding is a healthy part of the hair growth process and should not be cause for alarm – even with lash extensions, which is why we’re sharing 10 facts about lash shedding.
1. On average, a person can lose up to 20% of their natural lashes every two weeks.
2. Natural eyelashes grow in and fall out in cycles, which occurs every 60 to 90 days.
3. All hairs, including eyelashes, replace themselves every few years.
4. Depending on their individual growth cycles, a person can typically shed between 1 and 5 natural lashes every day.
6. When a natural lash matures and falls out, a new lash has already been growing and quickly replaces the fallen lash. For many of us, this process is not noticed.
7. When eyelashes are extended with quality extensions (like we use here at The Lash Lounge), it will be more noticeable when these lashes shed because they are longer and darker than your natural lashes.
8. When a trained stylist applies a set of lash extensions, one synthetic lash is attached to one natural lash. You will notice that when your natural lash sheds – so goes the lash extension.
9. If you have ever noticed how your hair sheds more during certain seasons, then you have probably noticed your lashes shedding during the same seasons, too. This is called ‘seasonal molting’ and you can read more about this process here.
10. With or without extensions, the shedding process is perfectly normal.