The power of well-defined eyebrows can’t be underestimated—they frame your face AND make your eyes pop. 💥 However, choosing the right brow color can be a daunting task for some. The wrong shade can distract from the rest of your features or look harsh, but the perfect color can take your whole look to the NEXT level.
Not sure what shade is best for your brows? Here’s how to find your brow color!
Can You Dye Your Eyebrows?
Let’s dive into this one. The short answer: yes! However, there are a few different ways you can dye or color your eyebrows and each method will have varying results.
The best way to color your eyebrows is with professional brow services like a semi-permanent brow tint. Yes, there are DIY brow makeup products out there, but why risk a brow tint mishap when you can have an expert do it? (We wouldn’t take the risk 🙅🏽♀️ but no judgment if you’re a do-it-yourself kind of person!)
The first step to coloring your brows is finding your brow color!
What Color Should My Eyebrows Be?
Typically, you want your eyebrow color to complement your hair color (natural or not). This includes natural undertones of your hair, skin and overall features. And that’s without being too bold that it distracts from your natural beauty. Your natural brow color may be too light for your features—this is especially true if you color your hair.
How to Choose a Brow Color
Now to the question we know you’ve been dying to learn more about! To find a brow color that beautifully complements your look and features follow these tips:
- Determine your undertone—The first step in finding the perfect brow color is understanding your skin’s undertone. The most common undertones are warm (peach or gold hues), cool (pink or blue hues), neutral (a mixture of tones or no distinct hues) and olive (yellow or green hues). For cooler or olive tones we suggest taupe-toned and ashier brow colors, for warmer tones, choose a bronze or red-toned color. If you have neutral undertones or simply want help selecting the right brow color, a professional stylist (like ours here at The Lash Lounge!) can help you find a color that complements your hair color, natural features and complexion.
- Match your hair color—A general rule of thumb is to match your brow color to your hair color. If you have light hair, go for a shade slightly darker than your hair, and if you have dark hair, choose a shade that’s a bit lighter. This creates a harmonious and natural look.
- Consider your eyebrow shape—Your eyebrow shape CAN influence the brow color you choose, too. For example, if you have sparse eyebrows and need to fill them in, opt for a color that’s close to your natural hair color. If you’re looking to redefine your brows, a shade slightly darker than your hair can give them a more striking, bold appearance.
- Skin tone and eye color—It’s always a good idea to take your skin tone and eye color into account when selecting a brow color. Individuals with fair skin and light eyes may opt for shades like taupe or light brown, while those with deeper complexions and deep brown eyes might choose darker browns or soft blacks. Complementing your eye color with your brow color can greatly enhance your overall look without looking harsh.
Now that you know how to choose your brow color it’s time to get the look! 😍
How to Color Your Brows
Let’s break down the most popular methods for coloring brows:
- Brow tinting—Brow tinting is the ultimate way to darken and embolden your brows, giving you a full yet natural brow look. Tinting involves applying a specialized dye to your brows to enhance their color and definition with a long-lasting hue. When you work with professionals at The Lash Lounge* to get a brow tint, not only will they ensure that your brow shape complements your features, but we’ll even help you find the best brow color for you!
- Brow pencils—Brow pencils are a quick fix to fill in sparse areas or add color to your brows, however, they don’t offer a long-lasting solution to make eyebrows. If you go this route, choose a pencil that matches your brow color and gently draw in short, hair-like strokes.
- Brow powders—If you’re looking for less shape and definition, powders are a DIY option for a soft, natural look. They can be applied with an angled brush and blended for a seamless finish to fill in sparse brows with additional color.
- Brow gels and mascara—While there typically isn’t a wide variety of color options, brow gels and mascaras are designed to set your brows in place while adding emphasis and volume for a feathery look.
*Brow tinting at our salons is 100% safe and our professional stylists go through an extensive training program to perfect the application and their technique.
Related Blog: Coloring Blonde Eyelashes and Brows
Why Color Your Brows with a Professional Brow Tint?
Brow tinting is the ultimate brow color enhancement for long-lasting color. Here at The Lash Lounge, our eyebrow tint can last up to four weeks, making it a low-maintenance option for those looking to enhance their brows without daily makeup application.
Another beautiful thing about brow tinting at our salons: you can choose from a range of tint colors depending on your preference! Tinting gives you beautiful color AND a fuller shape that complements your natural features.
By considering factors like your undertone, hair color, eyebrow shape and skin tone, you can find the perfect shade to complement your overall look.
Ready to find the perfect tint for your brow goals? Our professional stylists can’t wait to help! Professional application also means your tint will be precise AND emphasize your desired brow shape. (HINT: For perfectly shaped brows, pair your tint with eyebrow threading!) While you can purchase DIY brow tint kits, it’s often safer and more effective to have a professional stylist perform the tinting for you, especially if you’re new to the process.😉
Take Your Brows To New Levels with Tinting!
With a custom brow tint from The Lash Lounge, you can not only achieve the color and look you’ve always wanted, but you can rest assured knowing that your brows are in professional hands for your first visit and every visit after!