As the weather changes, most of us begin to grapple with seasonal allergies. (No fun!! 🙅🏽♀️) This can be particularly challenging if you wear eye makeup or have lash extensions. Why? Watery, itchy eyes and sneezing can make makeup application difficult, resulting in more smears or smudges throughout the day. It can also take a toll on your beloved lash line if you have extensions. Trying to keep your makeup in place and your lash look in check during allergy season might feel daunting, but it doesn’t have to! Read on for tips on managing seasonal allergies while enjoying your favorite lash services and makeup.
What Are Seasonal Allergy Eye Symptoms?
If you suffer from seasonal allergies and deal with symptoms like red, itchy, watery and puffy eyes, we feel for you! You also may notice that your eyes are more sensitive to light and there may be a burning sensation of feeling like something is stuck in your eye. 👀 We know, NOT fun.
Good news: There are different ways you can care for your eyes and even beauty tips to help ease and prevent irritation. Phew! 😮💨
How to Protect Your Eyes During Allergy Season
Proper protection and practices play a huge role in eliminating the suffering of seasonal eye allergies including cleansing and upkeep. Seasonal eye care includes:
- Avoiding allergen exposure—We know it’s impossible to avoid all allergens (if only!), but you CAN limit exposure by staying indoors on high pollen days and during peak pollen times like early morning and late afternoon. Another rec: Keep those windows closed to prevent allergens from entering your living spaces or car.
- Keeping your face clean—This sounds like a no-brainer but let us remind you that washing your face AND eye area regularly can do wonders. When it comes to cleansing your eyes, be sure to use a gentle oil-free cleanser to remove pollen and allergens. Tried our Lash Detox foaming cleanser? It’s soothing and gets the cleansing job done. Try one of our 2 formulas: Unscented or Tea Tree! If you have lash extensions and want to make sure you’re cleansing your eye area properly to keep them safe, watch how to wash your face with extensions here! 🧖🏽♀️
- Wearing sunglasses—Yep, something we do all the time can provide a barrier to shield your eyes from allergens, especially when you’re outdoors. Wearing sunnies can also protect your blinkers from wind that can dry your eyes out. When shopping for sunglasses, look for ones with large frames or wraparound styles for even better protection. 👓
- Changing contact lenses regularly—If you wear contacts, one of the BEST things you can do is properly cleanse AND disinfect according to your eye care professional’s recs. And while we know it’s tempting, try not to wear your contacts longer than the recommended time length. 😉
- Avoiding rubbing your eyes—If you want to keep your eyes from further irritation and refrain from introducing them to even more allergens (no, thank you!), don’t rub. Got itchy eyes? Try rubbing your lid in a circular motion to alleviate the itch or brush your lashes with a lash wand. 🍂
- Staying hydrated—Believe it or not, drinking plenty of water can help your eyes stay hydrated so they’re not dry. This alone can help alleviate dryness and discomfort. 💧
Tips for Wearing Eye Makeup During Allergy Season
If you’re all about eye makeup and want tips for wearing it during allergy-prone seasons, we’ve got you! First, you must start by choosing makeup AND lash products that are hypoallergenic plus gentle for your skin. Cosmetic products including the best mascaras for allergies should include 3 things. They should be:
Products that check all these boxes will be the least likely to irritate your eyes further during allergy season.
Another rec ➡️ Replace old products that may have a buildup of germs on them. This can do wonders along with cleaning off your eye makeup at the end of the day with an oil-free makeup remover, like our Gel Eye Makeup Remover. 🧼 This will help you avoid a build-up of allergens on your lashes that could further irritate your eyes.
Looking for a water-based mascara? Try our Amplify + Extend Mascara Duo! It’s not only safe for lash extensions but it’s lash-conditioning, too!
Tips for Seasonal Allergies and Lash Extensions + Other Lash Services
Professional lash services (extensions, tinting and lash lifts) are ideal for those who suffer from seasonal allergies. Why? Because they minimize the amount of time you have to touch the sensitive areas near your eyes AND cut out eye makeup if you don’t want to wear it during these seasons. Maintaining your favorite lash looks with minimal daily maintenance thanks to these lash services is a no-brainer.
All you have to think about is proper aftercare! To manage seasonal allergies and eyelash extensions, this is essential. From having lash extensions for a custom look that enhances your length, fullness and curl, to a tint and lift to define the color and curl of your natural lashes, cleansing with lash-safe products will keep them looking great and your allergies in check. (Talk about a win-win!) Lash-safe products are water-based, and totally free of oil and alcohol, which is why we suggest using a nourishing cleanser that won’t dry out your eyes like our Lash Detox Foaming Cleanser.
Read More: Lash Lift and Tint Aftercare: What to Know
Master the Season with a Reliable Lash Look
Seasonal allergies don’t have to put a damper on your love for lashes. 💖 By selecting gentle products, practicing good lash hygiene and staying mindful when around allergens, you can enjoy your favorite lash enhancements while managing seasonal allergy symptoms.
Find the lash service that’s right for you and flaunt your look all season long and beyond!