Can You Use Spray Beauty Products Like Hairspray + Dry Shampoo With Eyelash Extensions?
While lash extensions and certain beauty products don’t always mix, there are some creative ways to protect your lashes and still use some of the products you love. Today, we’re talking about spray beauty products.
Buckle up, hairspray, dry shampoo and setting spray lovers. This info is for you!
How Spray Beauty Products Can Harm Your Eyelash Extensions
Like many products on our “not friendly for lashes” list, sprays like hairspray, dry shampoo and setting sprays contain a heavy amount of alcohol-based ingredients. These ingredients are not good for your lash extensions because they can break the adhesive bond between your natural lash and the extension.
In more detail, the lash fans (particularly on our volume, mega volume and hybrid lash applications) can close or collapse once the sticky spray product gets caught in the fibers of the extension. On a classic application, the lashes can be come stuck together. The overall result: a less than stellar lash line and blow to your lash extension investment.
Why Dry Shampoo Is Not Good for Your Lashes
Like setting spray and hairspray, dry shampoo puts extra strain on your extensions, making it an absolute no-no. To make it even worse, dry shampoo leaves behind an icky residue.
Similar to that of baby powder, the residue from dry shampoo can build up and create a white layer along your lash line, leaving your extensions not just full of product, but also lacking that dark, luxe look you’ve grown to love.
Using Sprays When You Have Lash Extensions
While spray products and lash extensions are not exactly BFFs, this doesn’t mean you can’t use them safely.
Just last week, Corporate Stylist Trainer Shelley shared some simple tips and tricks on how to use and apply sprays while protecting your lashes:
5 Tips for Protecting Your Lashes While Using Beauty Product Sprays
1. Use a mask or face shield to act as a barrier between your lashes and the spray product. (Lucky for you, you probably have some of these laying around.)
2. Use your hand or arm as a barrier. Doing this will also give coverage to your lashes while the other hand sprays the product.
3. Clean your lashes properly each day. This will help to remove any buildup or residue from spray products that may have accumulated along your lash line.
Just remember to use lash extension-safe cleansers like our Foaming Lash Cleanser, which can be purchased at a Lash Lounge near you!
4. Give the spray product some time to settle in the air. When using products with aerosol, like dry shampoo or hairspray, allow a few extra seconds for the product to settle in the air before removing your chosen barrier.
Why? After you have sprayed the product, a cloud can gather in the air, leaving a lingering residue to land on your lashes. So, hold that barrier in place for a few extra seconds just to be safe!
5. Use a lash sealant regularly. We recommend our Black Diamond Sealant to give your lashes that extra layer of protection, plus beautiful, luxe sheen. And since it’s water-based, it can be applied daily.
What to Keep In Mind When Purchasing Spray Beauty Products
Unless you can find products that are water-based, you can assume most of them will contain ingredients that are not lash extension-friendly.
With that being said, as long as you cover your lashes when applying sprays and follow the simple tips we’ve shared, you and your lashes should be A-OK!
Stay In The Lash Lounge Loop
Looking for even more tips and tricks from yours truly? Follow us on Facebook and Instagram!
And, be sure to tune in each Tuesday on our IG stories for #TrainingTakeoverTuesday where our incredible training tribe dishes out more lash details and industry knowledge.